Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Research Log Entry

  1. What question did you try to answer?

Why does socialization lead to ethnocentrism?

2. What terms did you select to begin?
a. socialization
b. ethnocentrism
c. socialism

3. What web search engine or engines did you use?
a. google.com
b. ask.com
c. yahoo.com

4. Search techniques
    1. What search terms did you use?

-I used term that had the same meanings as socialization and ethnocentrism.

    1. What search techniques did you try?

- I tried many different techniques to search, some examples are:

a.socialization+ethnocentrism
b. socialization/ethnocentrism
c. "sociology"+ "socialization/ethnocentrism"

2. Evaluation
    1. How did you evaluate your results?

I used the C.A.R.D.I.O method by using currency, authority, relevance, depth, information type and objectivity.

b. What conclusions did you draw about the different search engines? Consider

a. what was the same?


-All the search engines offered among the same categories and types of searches. They all offered web pages or visuals.


b. what was different?


-The main difference between the search engines was that google as well as yahoo gave the most amount of different web pages and or results.


C. Differences in numbers of results


- The numbers were quite different for each search engine though, yahoo gave the most results. The largest result was 94,900, as stated, given by yahoo.com

    1. Why do you think the search engines behaved as they did?

- I think the search engines behaved as they did because this time around I used more specific search methods therefore it gave me more accurate and useful information. I did not get as much unwanted web pages.
  1. What other questions came into your mind as you carried out this exercise?

- Does ethnocentrism lead to socialization?, Why is ethnocentrism an important factor in sociology?


1 comment:

  1. Sounds as if you're making progress in your searching!

    ReplyDelete